Skip to main content

Metamorphosis


I wrote in my sypnosis for Malay Mail Weekend Happenings; “Artist Renny Cheng debuts out of his signature figurative pieces and hits a raw nerve with his contemporary pieces with splashes of bold vibrant colour the creases and folds, peel back as he morphs out of the ordinary.”
Renny's has the cutest fringe in Penang. Us chickadees pale in comparison,  Doris Lim is distorted next to badass writer Ruzanna Muhammed, E&O gallery manager Wanida Razali and Hin Bus Depot curator Gabija Grusaite.

His metamorphosis is deviation and rightly so. This is not for the collector who says, “Hmmm…. Abstract art, either you loathe it or love it. I’m neither.” Says my friend CTW, “I go for impressionist art.” CTW’s was the first to comment on my FB post!

Of course, lots of arty folks heading over from the Ernest Zacharevic x E&O gallery next door. I just love the traffic from one gallery to another!


And rightly so, lots of colours and scenery, I get where you’re coming from CTW. But I like to go where I look at art from several angles, different perspective and believe you, me; I even rotate the pieces in my mind. It speaks to me. Or none at all.

Do I ask Renny outright what he’s trying to do here?

www.smartdory.com
www.smartdory.com


Or do I skulk around eavesdropping to get an inkling?

I just tip back and soak in the atmosphere. And get the giggle bugs with Badass writer Rusana Muhammed.  We writers do that very well.

Lame jokes on a sugar rush. Renny fed us coca cola in lieu of beer.

I’m thinking 16 teaspoons in a can. Rusana and I ingested 8 teaspoons of sugar each. We’re on a roll.













The pieces are stark.
www.smartdory.com

Arresting.

www.smartdory.com

I like the yellow. It’s called Subconscious Mind.
www.smartdory.com

And I also like the red.  What does that mean?



There’s a black and a white and a blue and green even.

www.smartdory.com

Do these colour united? Divide?

What dominance has one colour over another? Presumably none.
www.smartdory.com

I get it. The black hole and the egg, well, the empty eggshell next to it.

www.smartdory.com
I get spooked easily.

www.smartdory.com

I look at the floor, the sugar kicked in.

www.smartdory.com

Renny disappeared.



“I don’t know if this is a breakthrough or not, there still a lot of confusion here,” says Renny, he is disappearing within himself.

Or rather into the blue as they say...

www.smartdory.com

Yogic Stephanie Ang who has perfected the head bobble with Sarojini who doesn't wobble at all.

“If we scratch the surface and break the skin, we all bleed red,” Stephanie says. My eyes widen. In this context, it was a resounding “YES”.


www.smartdory.com
Hin Bus Depot curator Gabija Grusaite is way too cool. She arrives on a red bicycle and we just had to take a picture of this modern day Cinderella! 
www.smartdory.com
www.smartdory.com

www.smartdory.com
Sarojini is simply besotted.

Doris Lim is a popular freelance writer who blogs as Little Fish on travel and food stories here. Be sure to check out her other inspiring stories and follow her Instagram @SmartDoryID & Facebook to check out more places to eat delicious street foods or dine in the best restaurants!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SAHD With His TV Dramas

Wills grins sheepishly. This girl is more than a little surprise to learn of his secret passion at night. Earlier on, she confesses her secret sin of chocolate truffles at midnight. Over copious cups of Pu Erh tea, Wills narrates the plots and sub plots of the Hokkien tele-drama that he has been following into the wee hours of the mornings. “You’ve really turned into a housewife!” she retorts. The going on and shenanigans of the Taiwanese drama is a melting pot of who-dun-its, business takeovers and sibling rivalry over the same girl. Wills is a SAHD or stay-at-home dad. Sometimes referred to as a househusband or house-spouse, he is the father of two lovely boys age 9 and 12. He is the main caregiver and the homemaker of the household. After years of putting gruelling hours at the office which took a toll on his health and quality of life; Wills made a life changing decision. He quit his high paying senior position in a foreign bank. He relocates his family back to his home

Let’s Do Turkeys for Chinese New Year

“Dee, can you get the Yim Kai from the fridge?” Kay’s mother hollers from the kitchen. I look at Kay, who is equally blurred. Salted Chicken? We look into both fridges, opening and closing doors. There was a large turkey sitting in the chiller staring back. Maybe it’s a Cantonese tradition, Kay volunteers. Kay’s mother ambles towards us, she has the look of one annoyed with the foolishness of youth – that being Kay and I. She shoves pass us and takes the turkey out. “As plain as day itself and these two think they can cook it by staring at it!” or some Cantonese idioms to that effect. Both Kay and I are clueless. He doesn’t speak his mother tongue and I, being part Hakka am equally hopeless. Kay’s mother glares at us. “I thought you meant salted chicken, Mom,” Kay says. Kay’s mother takes out the bird and places him on a large enamel plate. “I had to book this Yim Kai from Ipoh. This one’s a big boy, about 6.5kg and cost RM50 per kilo, “she boasts. Yim Kai is a cast